Fatal Poisoning Pets By Sweet Antifreeze. Part 2 of 3

Fatal Poisoning Pets By Sweet Antifreeze – Part 2 of 3

Initially, animals appear drunk after imbibing antifreeze. Warning signs include staggering, lethargy, increased thirst, vomiting and doable seizures, explained Dr Camille DeClementi, a veterinarian and board-certified veterinary toxicologist who serves as a senior director for the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals’ Animal Poison Control Center.

antifreeze

However, that drunken submit is short-lived and it may appear as though the pet is recovering when he or she is actually in grave danger: Internal damage is worsening as abnormal crystals organize in the kidney, ultimately causing the organ to shut down. “Once an animal has already gone into kidney failure, there is almost nothing you can do”.

If caught in time the prognosis for recovery is excellent. A blood test confirms if an bestial has antifreeze poisoning and whether treatment is needed. Owners should expect a 72-hour hospital stay for poisoned pets, along with a high veterinary bill. Treatment for a medium-sized dog, for example, runs between $2000 and $2500.

Parts: 1 2 3

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Fatal Poisoning Pets By Sweet Antifreeze. Part 2 of 3

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s